Friday, February 20, 2015

Georgia Rivers

A few weeks ago I taught a lesson on Georgia rivers and I wanted to share it with you guys. The reason being, is I could not find many hands on activities to help students in learning the 7 major Georgia rivers. I figured maybe somewhere down the road someone would be able to use this activity!

This activity is for the Second grade social studies standard SS2G1 The student will locate major topographical features of Georgia and will describe how these features define Georgia’s surface- b. Locate the major rivers: Ocmulgee, Oconee, Altamaha, Savannah, St. Mary’s, Chattahoochee, and Flint.

First, I used this wonderful Ga River Flipchart for the Promethean board that shows students each of the 7 rivers and a few facts and pictures about them. The alligators and other wildlife really caught their eye, they seemed to enjoy this almost as much as the activity!


Then, using a map on their table as a guide we made our own Georgia River maps! I cutout the shape of Georgia on Foam board and they used puffy glue to show the rivers and paper labels. I think they turned out really well and the students had a great time making them! 

Try this in your classroom and let me know how they turn out! 













No comments:

Post a Comment